I Tried "Skin Cycling" On My AcneProne Skin

I Tried

A skin cycle is a four-day skincare routine that strategically uses specific products on specific days.

The practical term was coined by dermatologist Whitney Bowie, MD.

A manufacturer tested the skin cycle on acne-prone skin and shared the results.

My relationship with my skin was a shock. Everything was fine for the first 20 years of my life, but when I turned 20, everything fell apart. I developed hormonal acne that was only alleviated by oral medication, developed excessive dermatitis, and even experienced a few cases of steroid acne.

When I heard about a new trend called "cycling" that was spreading widely on social media, at first I thought it was just another fad. But after trying it on my sensitive and acne-prone skin, I can confidently say that this process has changed my routine for the better.

For the uninitiated, Skin Cycling is a four-day skin care regimen developed by Whitney Bowe, MD, board-certified dermatologist and founder of Dr. The beauty of Whitney Bowe. As a rule, it disappears on the first night of the cycle (with the help of a chemical build-up, not a physical scrub). The second night favors retinol, while the third and fourth nights focus on recovery as you rest the skin and restore the skin's water barrier.

Although the most common treatment regimen is based on a four-day schedule, skin cycles can be tailored to meet your specific needs. "Depending on your skin type and your goals, you can make small changes," Dr. Bowe previously told PopSugar. For example, if you have sensitive skin or eczema, you can add an extra night of recovery. Or, if you have acne-prone skin like mine, shorten one of your recovery nights to Dr. Bo's three-night regimen: peel, retinol, recovery, repeat.

All my skin issues over the past few years have made me nervous about trying new skin care products, but after weeks of struggling with itchy skin and pimples around my chin that wouldn't go away, I decided to give this one a try. A leather bicycle. It was so.

Experiment with the skin cycle editor © Popsugar Photography / Renee Rodriguez Bike Editor's Pick

Night 1: Exhibition

I was really nervous that night because traditionally I only wash my face when I have sunless skin, which is not often. I have sensitive skin and was concerned about how it would react not only to a new product but to a whole new category. After doing a little research, I decided to try La Roche-Posay's Effaclar Acne Clearing Toner ($20) because I had heard so many positive reviews about it and it contained two ingredients (salicylic acid and glycolic acid) that I knew from past experience. . . It does not irritate my sensitive skin.

After washing my face with Cerave Hydrating Cleanser ($13), I apply the Brightening Toner to a cotton pad and wipe over my face. After leaving it on for a minute, I finish with my moisturizer. Although I didn't notice any surprises after the first application of the exfoliant, my skin felt smoother the next morning.

Night 2: Retinol

"Retinoids are one of the most powerful ingredients to incorporate into your skin care routine," Dr. Bowe previously told PopSugar. "But if you try to use it too often or mix it with other potentially irritating ingredients, you'll end up with more inflammation."

I have been using tretinoin, a topical retinoid prescribed by my dermatologist, off and on for the past four years with initially good results. However, when the esthetician felt that the extra tretinoin was making my skin too rough, I stopped using it entirely, so I was hoping that Dr. Boe's procedure would allow me to get it back to normal.

After cleansing my face and drying it completely, I apply a pea-sized amount of tretinoin to my face and neck. After leaving it on for five minutes, I applied moisturizer to my face. If you have sensitive skin, you can moisturize before applying retinol as a barrier, but I find that applying it directly to my skin gives the best results.

Night 3: Recovery

The recovery night was the easiest part of the process for me as my skin got used to it after a night's rest. After washing my face, I applied EltaMD Skin Recovery Night Mask ($50) to damp skin. Although this product is meant to be used as a mask, I prefer to use it as a daily moisturizer. The skin will be soft and moist, acne will not appear.

If it feels too dry, I add La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Balm ($18) to soothe irritation. I first learned about this product through TikTok and thought it could be magical. It helped get rid of acne on my face and I've seen people on social media talking about getting rid of cystic acne.

Skin Cycle Editor Test © Popsugar Photography / Renee Rodriguez, Skin Bike Test Editor

Results, goals

Although I didn't notice any significant changes in my skin within three nights, after repeating the skin cycle process for two weeks, I was sold. Even though I have sensitive skin, this process allowed me to add retinol to my routine and start exfoliating regularly. My skin has been smoother, better and less irritated since I started.

Leather Bike has introduced me to some great products. The cleansing toner I use to exfoliate has become my go-to product for treating acne scars, and the Cicaplast conditioner has saved the dry, dull skin around my nose. Also, changing these staples has helped reduce blemishes and get rid of dark spots on my nose that I've had for years.

Before I started cycling my skin, I had a facial and the esthetician noticed clogged pores and redness. I recently went back for a facial with the same esthetician and couldn't believe how much my skin had improved in less than two months. Let me be a fan of leather motorcycles.

Heard of cycling? There is a 4 day treatment that will rejuvenate your face.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post