Clippers Training Camp Features Healthy Kawhi Leonard, Better Energy

Clippers Training Camp Features Healthy Kawhi Leonard, Better Energy

PLAYA VISTA - There's a different atmosphere at Clippers training camp this season, with a high level of energy permeating tough workouts and post-practice runs, and it all starts and ends with Kawhi Leonard's knee.

For the first time in two years, Leonard was healthy, on the field and participating in practices without restrictions. He smiled too.

The injury-plagued All-Star missed 2021 with an ACL injury and was slow to return to the lineup last season while facing minutes limitations. Leonard is free to take the field this season after recovering from a torn meniscus in his right knee in Game 2 of the first round of last season's playoffs, and it shows on his face. He laughed and joked, and the rest of the group noticed.

“I thought he looked good in practice,” sophomore Moussa Diabate said Monday. “I don't think I felt much difference, but I'm sure we ran more, so (the mentality) helps.”

Amir Koffi, who has been part of the team since 2019, said: "Everyone was smiling. There is a good mood. People are very enthusiastic and the team spirit is really improving now."

Leonard was reluctant to praise the team's energy, downplaying the importance of winning a title in his fifth season with Paul George. In the past, injuries have hurt their chances of winning an NBA title or even a conference title.

In his best shot since the two joined the team, Leonard suffered a knee injury in the 2021 Western Conference Finals, and although the Clippers advanced to the conference finals, Leonard was unable to recover and missed the entire series against the Phoenix Suns.

Leonard wants to do everything to change the team's fortunes; he knew it all started with him.

“It might be a little (urgent) because I won't be able to do everything I do right now,” Leonard said. “My recovery is going faster now, so I think I can move forward and show that I'm more involved, but that might be a reason (to be optimistic), but who knows. Maybe (coach) Ty Lue is preaching to us to get better, run harder, play faster.

“Like I said, PG came in with a better mentality. Obviously, as a Hall of Fame point guard in Russ (Westbrook), you know what he brings to the team. I feel like all these things are coming together to play hard and give me more energy.'

Liu attributed the team's lighter attitude to having a diverse roster. Time.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post