Angie Dickinson Reveals How She Stays So Healthy At 91: Clean Eating And ‘Staying Out Of Trouble

Angie Dickinson Reveals How She Stays So Healthy At 91: Clean Eating And ‘Staying Out Of Trouble

Angie Dickinson joked that she would have worked at See's Candies if she hadn't been cast in 1959 for her role in Rio Bravo . The western that brought Angie to the map also starred and was directed by John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson. By acclaimed director Howard Hawks... today it is considered a Western masterpiece. “I knew it was going to be an amazing experience, but I didn't know how amazing it was going to be,” Angie, 91, told Closer Weekly .

Of course, Rio Bravo was just the beginning of Angie's incredible 55-year career in show business. She appeared in more than 50 films, including the Rat Pack classic Ocean's 11, and rose to fame in 1970s crime drama. The actress recently presented the world premiere 4K restoration of Rio Bravo at the Turner Classic Film Festival.

Read on for Closer's interview with Angie Dickinson, where she shares her life, career, and even the daily habits that help her stay healthy as she ages.

Why do you consider Rio Bravo a classic of the genre?

Angie Dickinson. Thanks to Howard Hawks. He's a great director. There is warmth in this film as well. Everyone helps each other.

What do you remember about the start of production at Rio Bravo?

AD: It was really scary. They were all there and arranged a dinner with me. It was John Wayne, Howard Hawks and the cameraman, all of them. I was blown away by the magnitude of this film. I didn't realize this until I arrived. We were shooting outside of Tucson, Arizona at a place called Old Tucson, weirdly. All western movies are filmed there.

What do you think of John Wayne?

AD: It's very generous. This is John Wayne. This is his 300th film. It's very professional. And it looks like men. He was just leaning quietly on the shotgun and waiting for me to fix the scene, which was really hard. I'm fairly new to the entertainment business.

John seems like a wonderful partner.

Duke is close to number one. Not because of his fame, but because he's very patient with me. And nobody calls him John. If you call him John, he won't answer. He was Duke through and through.

Are you in love with him?

Duke is very special, but he's married. I didn't beat him very well. I think we would have gone out and had a good time if it hadn't been tied up. He is divine.

Angie Dickinson Rio bravo! © Women's World Angie Dickinson Rio Bravo Courtesy of Warner Bros./Kobal/Shutterstock

What was it like working with Dean Martin?

AD: I only have one scene with him where I shave him. And of course she's beautiful. He has become a great friend. His wife Jean was also amazing. We were so close that I rode in the family car to his funeral.

Sure, you've met his friend Frank Sinatra. How did you meet?

Advertisement: My first job in show business was The Colgate Comedy Hour, every Sunday. When I walked past [the dressing room] after our show, I said, "Goodnight, Frank." He came to say good night, took my number and that was it. Frank was with Ava Gardner and recently broke up. It was a number one hit he hadn't had in a long time. It was a good time in his life. And I adapt.

What was Frank like as a friend?

AD: She is generous, beautiful, sweet, beautiful, warm and kind. My mother made me a cake to give to Frank Sinatra. I really appreciate that moment. When I gave it to him, he smiled and sent flowers.

What was it like being on the set of Ocean's 11 with all the men?

AD: It's incredible. No one is lucky enough to be with them. They were full of banter and gossip and banter with each other as you can imagine with those 11 people. I am not part of the strategy. It's a man's world. But it's a great honor to be in the film.

What was your role in Police Women?

Advertisement: There's a great show, Police Story . The last episode of the first season featured an undercover female police officer. Executive producer David Gerber contacted me. I was shooting Big Bad Mama and he came on set. Said you don't want to be famous? By God, it worked. Because I understood that yes, I want to be famous. So I entered the series. But if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. It's a lot of work.

Do you have a favorite memory from filming this series?

AD: I remember saying goodbye more. Four years of waking up at 5 in the morning, coming home at 7 in the evening, long days. It was really physically unbearable. I think I gave 91 concerts. Everything is interesting, but I would not advise anyone to watch the series. It's forced labour.

In February, you married the late composer Burt Bacharach. You contacted him before he died.

AD: Yes, it is. He's a big and big donor. I have gotten orchids for every birthday and Christmas since we broke up. I'm looking at the latter as I speak. But we are not compatible. It's a bad mix.

Angie Dickinson and Burt Bacharach © Angie Dickinson and Bert Bacharach Courtesy of Woman's World by MediaPunch/Shutterstock

Their daughter Nikki died in 2007. What do they like?

Advertisement: Nikki is amazing and incredibly talented. Born three months earlier, his eyesight is very poor. He can't read music, so he has to see everything by ear, but he loves playing the drums.

How will you remember it?

AD: Every minute, every hour I honor your memory.

How do you stay healthy at 91?

Ad.: I'm mostly vegetarian except for the occasional desi fried chicken. I don't eat large meals. I sleep eight hours a day. I take care of my garden and stay out of trouble.

What's the biggest lesson you've learned?

AD: I've learned to miss sunsets whenever possible. I've learned to be nice when I want to swear like hell. And I learned to stop talking when I've talked enough.

This article originally appeared on our sister site, Closer Weekly.

He took a picture of a pregnant woman, just to see the picture

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post